Friday, September 28, 2012

Live from Hurricon 2012

Spent the bulk of the day driving down to Orlando, FL to attend Hurricon 2012, put on by HMGS South.

It doesn't seem terribly busy yet, but I imagine that will change tomorrow.

The flea market was tonight and here is my obligatory "scores" pic:

Stuff!
The tanks were $5 for the two (they go for around $12 each normally). I didn't need more dice, but I was playing in a game and needed mine, but they were back in my room - ran to the flea market and for $5 got two complete sets and a handful of wacky dice (a d30, a d30 numbered -10 to -1, 1 to 10, and +1 to +10, a d16, and a blank over sized d10). The Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Player's Handbook cost me a whopping TWO DOLLARS. I figured I've read tons of criticism of the game, might as well take a look myself.

After the flea market, and along the same line of thought, I played in my first Pathfinder game.

I've only read a bit of the SRD - shelling out the money for the book  without having played it, when for a similar price I can get Dungeon Crawl Classics, which I have played and enjoyed,  wasn't appealing to me. I played the "First Steps: In Service to Lore" using the pre-gen cleric, Kyra. It was fun, although I was a little delirious towards the end - the lack of sleep and all day driving catching up to me in spite of the diet Mt. Dew.

I'm not sure what I thought about it - we seemed pretty powerful for first level characters. I also don't feel great about the whole "roll your diplomacy" (or whatever). I get it - sometimes, the player lacks skill that his or her character would have. I would have preferred to have us role play the situation more than we did before we got to the roll. 

To be fair,  I think in part it had to do with nearly all of us learning the system. There was one experienced player with our group and they seemed to be the type that played in character, voice and all, so that tells me my experience is not an example of Pathfinder play universal to all GMs (and probably not even this GM) and scenarios.

I've signed up for part 2 for Sunday morning. It's a dungeon crawl - something I know quite well - and I think I'll be able to get a better feel for comparing it to my beloved bx/Labyrinth Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment