Ditto for December. Not since November have I played a wargame!
I did do several "play tests" of Morschauser's modern rules (inspired by this post on Two Up, One Back, and Featherstone's simple WWII rules from War Games: Battles and Manoeuvres with Model Soldiers using my TSSD GIs and Germans, and Airfix Russians and Germans. But this was mostly of the set up a situation and see what the result would be variety, not a true game.
I have an idea for a Pulp-themed WWII mission for my attempt at my own Wampus Country Under the Tree Challenge I mentioned in my goals for the year, but I have yet to set it up an play. The TSSD figures and Featherstone's WWII rules will be the rules of choice in that game since they were, in fact, under said tree this year.
I will definitely put something on the table in February!
Finally, and not unrelated, I picked up these:
|Actual Dead Tree Copies|
Both issues are cited for their Marlburian rules by the Junior General site's scenarios for the Great Northern War. Hence my interest in them.
Issue 92 contains Featherstone's Marlburian Wargame Rules, but they seem incomplete to me even when I reference his rules in his War Games.
Still, I'm happy to have acquired a copy - I've been looking for these since early 2012.
Neither issue is available in PDF from Don Perrin over on Wargamevault.com and my guess is, they probably won't be, since issues before and after have been available for awhile.
This brings my collection of possible rules for GNW (and other Horse &Musket games I suppose) in dead-tree to:
- Featherstone's Marlburian Wargame Rules
- Pat Condray's Wargaming the Age of Marlborough
- Chalres S. Grant's The War Game Rules (will need modification for early 17th century)
- G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. (I'll wait for the purists to stop choking. Yes, I do think it's possible to modify G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. to handle this era. Possible. Is it likely I'll do it? 50/50 and roll on the Mythic Fate chart)
- Warfare in the Age of Reason
- Volley & Bayonet (with modifications for GNW from MWAN 81 and a website I found on the subject)
- Corporal John - Rules for Large Marlburian Battles