I still need to write up my thoughts about JF's 9Qs for solo rpgs as well, but in the meantime, I got in some painting last night. I moved the next unit of Great Northern War Russian infantry one step closer to completion and when they are complete, I'll be over half-way done with the infantry, not counting officers.
And more troops arrived today:
|1/72 Plastic goodies!|
This recent burst of crass consumerism is the result of my efforts to turn some of my Christmas gift money into gaming fun.
With a little effort, I was able to stretch those dollars pretty far - I've got two boxes of Swedish dragoons on the way, that I picked up for a great deal ($9.98 a box and free shipping!), as well as a copy of Dungeon Crawl Classics (eBay for just $30 delivered) and SkirmishCampaigns' Red Guards at Kursk (found used via AbeBooks, at 40% off of retail).
In addition, I put in some on the Tunnels & Trolls kickstarter. I swore off Kickstarter just a few weeks ago - two of the three projects I supported seem to have disappeared - but it's hard not to believe that Flying Buffalo and Ken St. Andre and crew will deliver.
I still have a little gift money left, and with my birthday not too far away, I'm contemplating what to put it towards. I'm considering one or more of the following:
- Charles Grant's The War Game - in fair to good condition it turns up for around $40 pretty frequently
- Two Hour Wargames Nuts!2.0 Supplements - Peiper at the Gate, The Big Hurt or Stalingrad: Heroes All
- The Purple Worm Graveyard, possibly with the How to Host a Dungeon game as well
- Pat Condray's Wargaming the Age of Marlborough.
- GA PA:Age of Marlborough and Great Northern Wars
- 1/32 heavy weapons infantry for Germany and either US or Russia
- 1/32 WWII armor - CTS vehicles, though a limited range, are reasonably priced, or I could buy a 1/35 model kit, or perhaps 1 piece of 21st Century / FoV armor if I do some shopping around.
- 1/285 GHQ WWII Germans and Russians infantry and support - I can't explain this, it's just one of those wild ideas that gripped my brain after I saw some painted German infantry in this scale.
- 1/1200 ACW Ironclads (completely out of left field I know)
There's clearly no rush and I have ample projects to occupy my brain for some time, but I thought I'd throw the ideas up there in case anyone has strong recommendations or warnings about anything I'm considering.