Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Into the Dungeon, Again! Part 1

With the baby sleeping so erratically, I decided to forgo painting last night, as the interruptions would be too frequent. Instead, I rolled up a dungeoneering party and set the off in search of adventure and loot. 

I'm using Labyrinth Lord,  my dungeon generator, and the D30 DM Companion. This is the first time I've really gotten to use the latter - since my players are so anti-dungeon crawl. 

 The D30 DM Companion is handling general info about the dungeon, room details, doors and traps, treasure generation, encounters with monsters (wandering and otherwise) and supplying the stats as well.

If you haven't already picked this up, do it! It's a steal at $3.00 at DriveThruRPG and only $8.95 in print from Lulu.com (the preview there is of the entire book. You'll know exactly what you're getting before you buy, so I don't feel compelled to write a proper review, although I may do just that anyway, just not at the moment).  

The setup:

Some loggers recently discovered the entrance to a here-to-for undocumented underground complex. The race is on to explore it and retrieve the riches which, as rumor has it, are entombed inside (of course, since no one has ever been in it that anyone knows of, these rumors have no foundation in reality). The small logging town is bracing for a boom as adventurers and salvage companies flock to the area.

The PCs (all run by me) had, by good fortune, arrived shortly after these stories began to circulate, before others had yet made their way here. After hiring some locals to handle torch and treasure bearing duties (after all, the thing must be loaded with gold right?), the party set off into the dungeon.

At the start of the adventure, the party consisted of:
Irongrim - F:1, HP 7
Brother McCleary - C:1, HP 7
Malazar - M:1, HP 6
Theodotus - T:1 HP 5
Feldspar Greytooth - F:1, HP 8
Throm (torchbearer): NM:0, HP 2
Perceval (porter): NM:0, HP 3

4 comments:

  1. I haven't done one of these since this past summer - must do another soon!

    Looking forward to the results of the new dungeon generator!

    And, good luck, Perceval...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I was thinking about your meeples-crawl when I was setting this up.

      The idea of randomly generating the encounters rather than designing tables based around a theme in advance was inspired by your adventure. So far it hasn't resulted in anything too oddball living next to each other. I may have to interject some Mutant Future type creatures into the game!

      Delete
  2. So you've got a party and a dungeon . . . now what is happening to them?


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeff,

      The post for that just went up.

      Honestly, I'm not at all sure what possessed me to split this intro from the adventure.

      -John

      Delete