Wednesday, December 19, 2012

More T-34 progress

This is just to document my progress on the T-34. Feel free to move along if you're not interested. No hard feelings.

As I mentioned in my last post, I'm on a Sharpie kick - evidence is amply supplied below.

Don't worry - I intend to build some of the detail I've drawn, and for that which I do decide to draw, I'll use stencils. My freehand is scary.


With the side of the hull cut-away, you can see the box sub-structure.

Note the flex in the card stock - one more reason to build the final product w/ cereal boxes.
I caution that this is just a mock-up at this point and a rather hasty one at that - I'm just using scissors rather than digging out the hobby knife, self-healing cutting mat and steel ruler. And my folds are anything but clean. Still, although there are gaps and unevenness  I think you can see that the target isn't entirely out of reach.

Assuming I can figure out the dimensions, angles and construction techniques to make the model, I'll build a proper one out of much stronger cereal box cardboard. Ideally, the process, once discovered would be easily repeatable - perhaps building a template with some simple drawing tools, as found in Word.

How much fun would it be to build a pile of cardboard T-34s, T-70s and Panzer IVs (perhaps backed up with some Marders or Stugs) for a Little Wars type game to celebrate the 100th anniversary of those rules and to honor the 70th anniversary of the battle of Kursk?

Of course, I'm getting ahead of myself there. I ought to really finish one of these before I think about making them in the 10s, let alone making models for which I have no physical item on hand.

2 comments:

  1. Actually, I think there's a certain naive charm (in a good way!) in the handdrawn stuff. But it's also a good crafty exercise to try to build ones that look really good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the hand drawn stuff as well - when it's done a little less shakily, such as in one of the videos i posted when i began this project, it gives it just the right toy-like appearance. Some items though, such as the hatch, seem to cry out to be modeled in that they are just rectangles with rounded corners. Much like when I paint, if I can do it easily, I will try to model it, if not, then Sharpie it is!

      Delete