Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Attention Heroes of the Ever Expanding Dungeon: Questionairre

This is for those who have characters in this "season" of my solo Ever Expanding Dungeon game (for those not following along, yes, you read that right - please feel free to read along and formulate the answers for yourself whether you have a character in the campaign or not. It's good fun.). 

I completed another session the other day - an insane combat that I don't even know how I'll write up and afterwards, I decided that I'd like to know how each character thinks, at least about some basic things and I thought it'd be fun if the creator of the character had something to say about it. 

The questionnaire is pretty short, and no obligation mind you, and no rush if you do decide to reply. If you do, please leave your answers in the comments.

The first set of questions pertain to the character directly, and are stolen more or less from Dungeon World. If you only answer a few questions, these might add the most narratively speaking.

Pick 2 or 3 of the following and fill in the blanks with a character name (other than your own. Ygg is not off limits!)

1. ____________ is misguided about the risks in the dungeon.

2. I have sworn an oath to protect  ____________.

3. I have known ____________ a long time, and they are honorable but reckless.

4. ___________ is a good person and can be trusted completely.

5. I owe ____________ my life.

6. _________ has insulted my (family/deity/choice of weapon/etc.) and I do not trust them.

7. _________ owes me their life, but they won't admit it.

8. _________ and I share a blood bond.

9. _________ needs to be protected from themselves.

10. _________ enjoys killing the denizens of the dungeon a little too much. I sometimes fear for my safety around them.


The following are as much about player preference as character:

1. The party is setting out for the dungeon, all things being equal, would you rather:
     1)Return to the section you last visited
     2)Explore a different section

2. you come to a junction, all things being equal would you:
     1)Go towards a section where you've explored previously to complete the map
     2)Go towards the unknown

3. You come to a door, what do YOU do?
     1)Listen
     2)Search for traps
     3)Force it open
     4)watch our backs
     5)Set it on fire
     6)Other _________________________

4. Generally speaking, who goes into a room first (name or class)?

5. Who carries the torch/lantern (generally, not particular character)?

6. You're pretty badly hurt (50% or less hit points), everyone else is in better shape and wants to continue, do you:
     1)Press on, but in the middle ranks
     2)Agree to explore one more room but then insist on returning to town
     3)Argue that you need healing and to return to town

7. One party member (not you) is badly wounded, everyone else is in decent shape, do you:
     1)Suggest the party press forward
     2)Suggest the party check out one more room then go back to town.
     3)Argue that the party should return to town so that other member can rest and heal

8. The majority of the party is badly wounded, do you:
     1)Suggest the party press forward
     2)Suggest "just one more room" and then return
     3)Suggest that the party return to town.

9. Your party comes across some humanoids that you outnumber and you posses the means to communicate, you:
     1)Attack!
     2)Parley, but only to distract them so we can gain the upper hand in combat
     3)Parley but send the thief around in the shadows to back stab
     4)Parley in good faith to just get past them
     5)Parley in good faith to get some information
     6)Threaten them for information
     7)Threaten them to let you past
     8)Other ________________________________

10. Your party comes across some humanoids that outnumber you but you posses the means to communicate, you:
     1)Attack!
     2)Parley, but only to distract them so we can gain the upper hand in combat
     3)Parley but send the thief around in the shadows to backstab
     4)Parley in good faith to just get past them
     5)Parley in good faith to get some information
     6)Threaten them for information
     7)Threaten them to let you past
     8)Other ________________________________

11. How much is a reasonable amount (in GP) to offer to an NPC/monster to get something from them? (passage, information, their silence, etc.)

I appreciate all the work everyone did to get me their characters in the first place, so I realize this is possibly pushing it. Thank you for even just reading this far!

This toes a line between solo and social gaming, and I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge that this idea comes from a post on the old SoloNexus site, and JF's use of the Press Gang idea from Donald Featherstone.

10 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Its a good thing I have nothing to do at the moment. I suspect the insane combat means we are all in bad shape in a room full of humanoids that gnash their teeth and eye up our trinkets.

    5. I owe ___ Zilliniy _________ my life.
    10. __ Maglom _______ enjoys killing the denizens of the dungeon a little too much. I sometimes fear for my safety around them.

    1. The party is setting out for the dungeon, all things being equal, would you rather:
    1)Return to the section you last visited

    2. you come to a junction, all things being equal would you:
    1)Go towards a section where you've explored previously to complete the map

    3. You come to a door, what do YOU do?
    1)Listen

    4. Generally speaking, who goes into a room first (name or class)?
    Maglom

    5. Who carries the torch/lantern (generally, not particular character)?
    Eomund as he is a young welp.

    6. You're pretty badly hurt (50% or less hit points), everyone else is in better shape and wants to continue, do you:
    1)Press on, but in the middle ranks

    7. One party member (not you) is badly wounded, everyone else is in decent shape, do you:
    2)Suggest the party check out one more room then go back to town.

    8. The majority of the party is badly wounded, do you:
    3)Suggest that the party return to town.

    9. Your party comes across some humanoids that you outnumber and you posses the means to communicate, you:
    4)Parley in good faith to just get past them


    10. Your party comes across some humanoids that outnumber you but you posses the means to communicate, you: 5)Parley in good faith to get some information


    11. How much is a reasonable amount (in GP) to offer to an NPC/monster to get something from them? (passage, information, their silence, etc.)
    None – We will take the gold from their cold dead hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jacko! The insane combat lasted TWENTY-THREE rounds. I've never run a combat that long. In the moment, it wasn't just a boring dice rolling fest either - there were heroic actions all around as well as tons of bloodshed.

      Delete
  2. Since you mention it, what happened to SoloNexus?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was set to private by the owner due to an issue he was having as far as I know - I miss the blog !

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you swear an oath to protect yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most PCs operate under that oath.

      Delete
  5. I tend to agree with most of Jacko's responses to questions 6-10. As for the other characters I have to confess I'm not good at keeping everyone straight, so I can't really give decent answers to those questions. Maglom may be a bit dour as a dwarf, and not too concerned about her own welfare, but would look out for her fellow dwelvers. I think the way you had her act when dealing with the other dwarves they met, and when charging into the fight in spite of her own wounds when things got bad there were spot on.
    As for enjoying killing? Not really, sometimes it's necessary in these situations and she probably approaches it with fierce dwarven pride (and in honor of her brother). :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, let's see. Here's what Leegand thinks:

    3. I have known ___Maglom___ a long time, and they are honorable but reckless.

    9. __Lykidas_ needs to be protected from themselves.

    Second half:
    1. The party is setting out for the dungeon, all things being equal, would you rather:
    1)Return to the section you last visited

    2. you come to a junction, all things being equal would you:
    1)Go towards a section where you've explored previously to complete the map

    3. You come to a door, what do YOU do?
    2)Search for traps

    4. Generally speaking, who goes into a room first (name or class)?
    Runolf, Fighter

    5. Who carries the torch/lantern (generally, not particular character)?
    Leegand probably. Needs it to check for those traps.

    6. You're pretty badly hurt (50% or less hit points), everyone else is in better shape and wants to continue, do you:
    2)Agree to explore one more room but then insist on returning to town

    7. One party member (not you) is badly wounded, everyone else is in decent shape, do you:
    2)Suggest the party check out one more room then go back to town.

    Leegand is a pretty cautious fellow. It's how a thief stays alive.

    8. The majority of the party is badly wounded, do you:
    3)Suggest that the party return to town.

    9. Your party comes across some humanoids that you outnumber and you posses the means to communicate, you:
    6)Threaten them for information

    10. Your party comes across some humanoids that outnumber you but you posses the means to communicate, you:
    4)Parley in good faith to just get past them

    11. How much is a reasonable amount (in GP) to offer to an NPC/monster to get something from them? (passage, information, their silence, etc.)
    I don't understand the question; why would we give away GPs. That's what #9 and #10 decided, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zilliniy's answers:

    _Maglom_ is misguided about the risks in the dungeon.

    _Leegand_ needs to be protected from themselves.

    _Runolf_ enjoys killing the denizens of the dungeon a little too much. I sometimes fear for my safety around them. (actually jealous he's a better melee fighter, but won't admit it).


    1. The party is setting out for the dungeon, all things being equal, would you rather:
    2)Explore a different section

    2. you come to a junction, all things being equal would you:
    2)Go towards the unknown

    3. You come to a door, what do YOU do?
    4)watch our backs

    4. Generally speaking, who goes into a room first (name or class)? Either the thief or whoever is in platemail

    5. Who carries the torch/lantern (generally, not particular character)? hired help, or the wizard if the help get eaten by monsters

    6. You're pretty badly hurt (50% or less hit points), everyone else is in better shape and wants to continue, do you:
    2)Agree to explore one more room but then insist on returning to town

    7. One party member (not you) is badly wounded, everyone else is in decent shape, do you:
    2)Suggest the party check out one more room then go back to town.

    8. The majority of the party is badly wounded, do you:
    2)Suggest "just one more room" and then return

    9. Your party comes across some humanoids that you outnumber and you posses the means to communicate, you:
    5)Parley in good faith to get some information

    10. Your party comes across some humanoids that outnumber you but you posses the means to communicate, you:
    5)Parley in good faith to get some information

    11. How much is a reasonable amount (in GP) to offer to an NPC/monster to get something from them? (passage, information, their silence, etc.) In town, the NPC's daily wage for information or passage, x10 if something massively illegal is going on. In the dungeon, 100gp x dungeon level for most things. Though in town, Zilliniy will first try batting her long, pretty elvish eyelashes to get things for free.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks all for the replies! I'm compiling this into a format i can keep on hand during games to inform my decisions for your characters.

    ReplyDelete