Wednesday, October 17, 2012

November is National Game Design Month

I learned this morning over on The Savage Afterworld that November is National Game Design Month (NaGa DeMon). It also happens to be National Novel Writing Month (I participated in this a few years ago - it was a lot of fun although I only made it to around 35,000 words. I ceased to care about the characters around 20,000 words, which spelled its doom.) and National NonFiction Writing Month.

(I'm pretty sure the use of "national" is irrelevant and you can participate wherever you are.)

I did some reading and talked to Lady Shadowmoss about it. She is encouraging me to pursue NaGa DeMon.

I have several ideas floating around - including one for solitaire dungeon crawls (wow, go figure) and another for a light-hearted rpg - and participating in the month long event (and posting about it) might give me the kick in the pants I need to take one of my ideas to a play-test ready document.

Then again, I've wanted to do a zine since I first encountered them in the likes of Dishwasher, Dumpsterland, Cometbus and others "back in the day." And of course, the current rpg zine renaissance is inspiring to say the least.

Yes, a zine isn't really in either camp - and a 50, 000 word zine would be absurd. (There's a  24 Hour Zine challenge in July for those interested) - but I don't see anything wrong with making it as part of NaGa DeMon  especially if I include a game in the zine.

Hmm. Something to think on.

I encourage anyone who tinkers with rules for their wargames and their rpgs to consider participating.

Maybe it's time to design the game you want to play!

No comments:

Post a Comment