Friday, February 1, 2013

Five for Friday: Week of 1/25/13 - 1/31/13

For your Friday afternoon after lunch waiting for the weekend to start entertainment:

dndclassics.com? I don't need no stinking dndclassics.com! on Rended Press
Far and away the best response I've seen to the recent celebration over the return of classic D&D materials to PDF format.

I've always been a little hesitant to print and assemble downloaded booklets because my printer doesn't support double-sided printing. After reading this, I gave flipping the paper over and sending it through again method a try and it worked fine. I plan to put together some of my favorites now, too. Even if you're not interested in doing this yourself, there are plenty of great links in this post.

XP Evolution - The Orc on Alesmiter
A thought provoking (well, it was for me) look at the creep of XP for monsters across editions. Most interesting is the look at how many orcs a PC has to kill to advance a level.

Manor #3 Cover on Gothridge ManorThe Manor is easily my favorite zine effort associated with the OSR community. I have been eagerly awaiting  the completion of the 3rd issue and it looks like that's going forward now.

Warning Order #34 on Wasatch Front Historical Gaming Society
Everytime I stumble on the WFHG site and read Warning Order,I think, "I have to make an effort to get back here and look for new issues."And then I forget completely until someone/something reminds me to do so. A free PDF wargaming newsletter? Yes, please! Articles are well written and the photography is decent as well.

Basic Fantasy Role Playing Blog Appreciation Day on Tenkar's Tavern
23 different blogs took some time to post about BFRPG yesterday. If you haven't heard of, or thought to check this system out, take a look at any of the many posts listed at the link above. There's a lot of love out there for the "red-headed step child of the OSR" (as Tenkar described it).

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out on XP Experience. I'm thinking I should create a 'Dead Orc' scale to rate RPG difficulty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rod, thanks for commenting.

      Your post really got me thinking about how to scale non-treasure XP awards. I'm trying to phase XP for gold out of my games, as I recently bought into the idea that treasure is reward in and of itself. The humble orc's XP creep seems to imply that later versions "solved" this by bumping up XP (with a corresponding bump in PC abilities to make those combats less lethal).

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the heads up on Warning Order - I think that is a tremendous PDF. To me, it's one of the best...if not The best. But like you, I need to be reminder to check it put occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad someone else benefited from a reminder. I lucked out this time because it was announced on the TMP landing page.

      Delete
  3. Hey, Thanks for the kind words. Working on #3 as I type this. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tim, thanks for stopping by! Glad to hear progress continues!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the shout-out for Rended Press!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I visit your site often enough, it's the least I could do!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      -John

      Delete