Friday, June 7, 2013

Hot Off the Presses

I've announced it pretty much on every social media platform I use, but not here yet - my apologies if you've had to see my many other postings about this. Last night, the first 5 copies of 6 Iron Spikes & a Small Hammer came together.

Here's the obligatory blurry cell phone pic:


I had planned to get them done at a copy shop, but that was a bust - the shop closest to my house turned out to be a woman with a photocopier selling Georgia state lottery tickets and cigars, among other things.

I ended up using my housemate's Laserjet copier/printer/scanner. The copier feature worked great, but I need to buy toner if I'm going to go this route since it's not my printer. I'll make 5 more tonight, so I have a nice even 10 to bring with me to the Atlanta Zine Fest tomorrow.

Once I'm ready to start mailing to people, I'll put up info on how to get a copy.

Making a zine has been on my list of "Things I Want to Do" for almost 20 years - it feels pretty awesome to have finally made it happen. Of course, now I'm hooked. I do plan to do put out a second issue, but I'm not sure when - probably in the fall sometime. Writing hasn't even begun yet. 

And, in the meantime, I've got some ideas for some non-gaming related one-shot zines.

6 comments:

  1. I'll be wanting a copy eventually . . . but there's no way that I'll make it to the Zine Fest . . . it is a tad too far from off the west coast of Canada.


    -- Jeff

    PS, I've not forgotten that I've promised to write something for the next issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeff,

      I just got my envelopes today.

      The zine goes in the mail tomorrow (Wednesday)!

      -John

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tomo! I'm pretty excited about it. Now that it's done, i can't believe i waited so long to write one!

      -John

      Delete
  3. Looks pretty sweet! I love the DIY ethos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I suspect reactions to the appearance will be mixed. Many of the other print zines have a very nice polished layout and sturdy card stock covers; mine most definitely (and intentionally) does not.

      At least I used the PC to print the article text and spared everyone page after page of my atrocious handwriting!(I really want to do a handwritten zine sometime, but I have to work on my penmanship)

      -John

      Delete