Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Must...Resist...Temptation (aka Thinking Out Loud)

As anyone who follows the OSR blogosphere knows, today is Swords & Wizardry Appreciation Day and with that comes a 25% discount coupon over at Frog God Games:



S&W has been on my "want list" for awhile - mostly for this awesome cover art:

Seriously. Awesome. Cover.
I wonder, though, how many rule books do I need? (I say books because, while PDFs are great, I don't have an e-reader and so I find them difficult to use for anything over 30 or so pages.)

I have B/X, Labyrinth Lord (plus AEC) and Basic Fantasy RPG. I also, after a short period without them, again have the 1e books. Oh, and then there's DCC

While I understand that S&W is more of a 0e game (and I don't have a any print 0e books, clone or otherwise), the fact is, if I'm honest with myself, there's only so many different rule systems I need to run essentially the same flavor of game. 

So, cool art aside, I think I have to pass.  Now, the Mythmere Adventure Design Desktop on the other hand, well, I might not be able to resist that.

3 comments:

  1. Mythmere Adventure Design Desktop looks interesting, but I can't find any place where it can be found/purchased. Any ideas or knowledge on that?

    (your "ever expanding dungeon" posts are making me rethink where I want to go with my gaming. In a good way. I'm thinking more along the lines of what you are doing with that. Dungeon-delving and exploration (and wilderness exploration). Also inspired by some of the stuff I've seen around the net on "Western Marches" campaigns, as well as other "old school" rpg stuff.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fitz-Badger,

    Frog God has it under Swords & Wizardry Legacy Products:

    http://www.talesofthefroggod.com/sw-legacy-2.html

    There are 2 volumes - that link is for Principles and Starting Points. Volume 2 is for Monsters.

    West Marches sounds like a lot of fun. It looks like the creator is the same guy who wrote Microscope (a game I own and which I look forward to playing).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I failed my detect secret doors roll! Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete