Friday, August 10, 2012

Helvetica: Campaign Week 10

Colonel Duchamp, torn between what he knew to be a high risk attack and probable trap, and the fact that Heidegger would simply press his numerical advantage if he, Duchamp, waited too long, advanced his forces. 

In the tenth week of the conflict for Helvetica, the sides would once again meet at Fort Candide.

For this battle, as I mentioned in my previous post, I used a mashup of Bob Cordery's Memoir of Battle and G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. In game terms, that means instead of the strength values in MoB, I used the remaining strength of the G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. units, card activation, the start/sustain/save for vehicles, and, if it was necessary, saves for the unattached commanders.

Sauvignon-Blanc had to drive Riesling from the field or capture the two redoubts to win. Riesling either had to rout the enemy or hold out for 10 turns.

I ran neither side and left both to the whims of the Solo DBA rules for setup and tactical decisions. My involvement was to interpret the results of the tactical engine.

Both forces ended up grouped primarily in the center, with a unit on their left and one in reserve:


I decided reserves would arrive on a roll of 4-6 on a 1d6, after the first shots were fired. Which, as it turned out, meant the first turn as 2nd Battery opened up on Sauvignon-Blanc's 2e Compagnie. 

In spite of being on the defensive, Riesling was fairly aggressive, sending two units on its left early on, and Sauvignon-Blanc forces kept their distance.  

The walker returned to its temperamental self of the early weeks of the campaign and refused to start until turn 3. And stalled again on turn 4.


Duchamp managed to inspire his troops and 3e Goum did serious damage to 13th Kompanie (both are native lizard folk units). 1er Compagnie advanced to pepper the 13th as they fell back.


Although the walker finally managed to advance and get a shot off, it stalled again - this time within range of 1st Battery. Major Heidegger had attached himself to the battery and the bonus die came in handy as shell after shell pounded the walker. 13th K, nearly destroyed, fell back to the base line. In the center 1er C. and 7th K. exchange rifle fire :


By the end of turn 9, Duchamp had lost his walker and his unit of natives - a retreat was in order. Here's the table at the end of turn 10:

This turned out to be the last battle in the Battles for Helvetica - Duchamp used up all his reenforcements when Sauvignon-Blanc was forced back to Guillaume Le Roy. He's unable to replace the walker or replace 3e Goum which was reduced to 0 strength.

In a simple ceremony, Duchamp presented his sword to Heidegger and Helvetica now belongs to Riesling.

There are other islands in the Sans Serif chain, and war, which both sides had hoped to confine to the islands, seems likely to spread to the continent. And, of course, Riesling still has to handle the lizard folk who may decide to take advantage of a weakened imperial presence to rise up and revolt.

Exciting times!



5 comments:

  1. do you have a map of the lands involved? If not, it could be quite interesting based on your chosen place and "hero" names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never mind - saw it at your post
      http://tabletopdiversions.blogspot.com/2012/06/map-of-helvetica.html

      Delete
    2. Hi Itinerant,

      The map came well after the campaign was under way. The original "map" was taken from Saxe-Bearstein:http://saxe-bearstein.blogspot.com/2008/07/simple-campaign-format-this-is-re-post.html Because my forces are, in other games, French and Prussian, it seemed only right to make sure the names reflected that in some way. A long time ago, in a previous life, I had a strong interest in the philosophy of art, hence some of the specific choices.

      When I was inspired to try a more traditional looking map, I had to account for the Saxe-Bearstein encounters and my rather arbitrary time range between encounters. I also did my best to account for any terrain I had already described in previous write-ups. It is rather crude but I like it - although, I think next time I might play with some of the free software available for map generation or perhaps download one of the many freely available maps for wargaming and RPGs.

      That said, I'll be revisiting this map for a campaign based around Riesling's attempt to bring the northern lizard tribes under their rule. I'll probably be adding forts and lizard tribal territories.

      Delete
  2. Slick, fun, and inspiring! This must have been a very nice way to end Duchamp's career and finish the campaign! Also, along with the preceding post, it illustrates how great war gaming can still happen even without traditional minis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm definitely looking forward to fielding larger armies when I bring this war to the continent. Without having to worry about what's in my collection of minis, I can put anything I want on the table for either side.

      Delete